Lille Metropole of France striker, Victor Osimhen has found another massive transfer link coming his way, as he is now said to be under the radar of English Premier League side, Newcastle United, megasportsarena.com reports.
So soon after another EPL team, Manchester United are said to have joined rivals Arsenal and Leicester City in the hunt for Osimhen’s signature, alongside Barcelona of Spain, the lanky lad could instead by on his way to joining the club that once had Celestine Babayaro, Obafemi Akinwunmi Martins as well as the Ameobi brothers, Shola and Sammy on their cards.
This is sequel to additional information indicating that The Magpies plan to send scouts to France in order to monitor the development of Osimhen, who played last season on loan from VfL Wolfsburg of Germany to Sporting Charleroi of Belgium, but has quickly adapted to life in France.
After scoring seven goals in nine Ligue 1 outings, the 20-year-old Chile 2015 FIFA U-17 World Cup top scorer, who also hit target for Lille against Chelsea in the UEFA Champions League, has been touted as a natural future addition to the English Premier League.
A report by Chronicle Live has now disclosed that Newcastle are considering a bid for Osimhen, who replaced Arsenal’s Nicolas Pepe at Lille, as The Magpies look to strengthen in the final third and the club’s gaffer, Steve Bruce will want to add another fresh face in attack.
While Joelinton and Andy Carroll were bought by the St James’ Park outfit in the summer, they look likely to cash in on Dwight Gayle in January, such that space could be left open for Osimhen to step in aplomb.
The report indicates further that that Osimhen is on the radar of Newcastle’s chief scout, Steve Nickson, as Toon aim to move fast in order to snatch the youngster, who is being tracked by an increasing number of European clubs after making a brilliant start to his spell with Lille.
Last week it was reported that Barcelona had jumped to the head of the queue of clubs seeking to snap up Osimhen, who has netted eight goals in 11 appearances for Lille this season, won the club’s player of the month award, collected that for the entire Ligue 1 for September and is said to be soaring in value beyond £10.8m.
However, French outlet, Top Mercato adds that Lille are counting on keeping Osimhen until end of the season and do not plan to part with the highly rated youngster in the January transfer window, despite interest from Newcastle and other top clubs.
The report stressed that Lille are not keen on losing a key goals scorer midway through his very first season, in which he has been absolutely on fire, and the Ligue 1 outfit look likely to slam the door on Newcastle, unless The Magpies can change the French club’s view with a big money bid.
Bruce admitted on Friday that the club are planning to step up the scouting of potential targets in the next few weeks and, though pundits believe Osimhen would appear to be more of a summer option, the Newcastle boss added: “We’ll start planning in the next couple of weeks, but January is always a difficult window. We’ll see what’s out there.”