Nigerian-born British cruiser-weight boxer, Lawrence Okolie has apologised over the social media feud he stirred up against fellow-Brit, Dillian Whyte, as he admits he regrets stirring up a feud, which he says has since been resolved, megasportsarena.com reports.
In retrospect, while suggesting he could be open to taking up a heavyweight fight in future, Okolie confessed that his spat with Whyte was uncalled for, even as the unbeaten cruiserweight hopes to take another step towards a world title when he challenges European champion, Yves Ngabu on October 26
The Hackney man revealed how he also expected to dislike Derek Chisora when they first met, but instead enjoyed the controversial fighter’s company, as everything turn into a cordial affair when they finally got to meet, and Okolie added that he likes the Zambian-born heavyweight..
Okolie’s European title battle is part of a packed night of action bill at The O2 Arena in London, which is topped by The World Boxing Super Series final between Regis Prograis and Josh Taylor, after which the Nigerian-born fighter says he could also think about taking a heavyweight bout.
Although he says he has remained focused on his own divisional rivals, despite becoming grossly embroiled in a row with Whyte earlier in the year, Okolie conceded that he had been too hasty with his Twitter challenge.
Okolie told Sky Sports: “Probably when I did it with Dillian Whyte. That one there, I was in Morocco in training camp, and I was just listening. Obviously a lot of the time people say stuff about me, but it’s okay, no problem.
“For some reason that day he just said something that just really got to me and I thought ‘you know what, I think I’d beat him,’ and I put it out there and it was just pandemonium. I didn’t know what I was expecting, but still, that one was one where maybe I should have just sent him a direct message, as opposed to putting it out there. But all is fair in love and war.”